Friday, July 20, 2012

Finances: Part 1

I feel like it’s been a long while since I’ve blogged just to blog! I’ve been filling up my page with weekly baby updates and that’s about it! To be honest, I am not even sure what I have/haven’t shared with you! Sheesh. I promise now that I’m feeling better after surgery I will blog regularly. J

I did let you know that Matt and I decided to wait to get married! We were scheduled for September of 2013 but the thought of being new parents, going to school, working, trying to lose some LOVELY l-b’s AND plan a wedding seemed SO unbelievably overwhelming. Doesn’t that sound like personal torture?!

We just have to do what’s best for our family. Marriage licenses aren’t going anywhere and I'm so relieved with this decision. I promise we’ll have to have a big sha-bang when the time comes. RUM FOR ALL!! J

Also, a huge shout out to my friends who were very supportive, understanding and kind about our decision. I love that they weren’t judgmental and understood where we were coming from.

On a different note, I have been PINNING the crap out of stuff on Pinterest. I would say my 3 favorite things to pin are crockpot recipes, financial organization ideas and homemade anything for holidays, beauty, furniture, etc.

Thanks to Pinterest I have recently given myself a budget makeover. Meaning, I started budgeting at all. I became intrigued with other family’s savings ideas and prior to being pregnant I literally just spent what I wanted, when I wanted without a real plan for the future. It’s embarrassing to admit but I know I’m not the only one that has spent my money mindlessly. In fact, I know of several middle age and older adults who still don’t have their finances in order because they didn’t learn or plan when they were young.

Becoming pregnant with little hammy really gave me a wake up call in several aspects of my life. I was picturing myself as a 36 year old (insert whatever occupation I’m in) with only $5.95 in my checking account, with no savings built up, driving a car I couldn’t afford and living way beyond my means. Doesn’t this sound like a lot of people you know?

This vision literally scared me half to death. I decided that my peers and elders who are living beyond their means with mountains of credit card/student loan debt were my driving force. I was ready to get my butt in gear and finish my Bachelor’s degree {back to school August 27th!} and to get myself prepared financially for my little family’s future.

To be continued….


No comments:

Post a Comment