Sunday, June 17, 2012

Girl's Gone Child: 23 Weeks + Surgery


What a whirlwind of a week already! As many of you know I had my gallbladder taken out on Friday. I was released from the hospital yesterday after 3 days and 2 nights staying on the OB floor. I was their only patient most of the time and I was bummed because I wanted to see some babies in the nursery windows!

Anyways, Thursday morning I woke up with an awful pain in my upper right side and I didn’t know what the heck it was. I went to work and tried to ignore the pain but it was so awful it was like leaving me a little breathless. A lady I work with convinced me to call my OB and of course, he was home recovering from his own surgery. He has a wonderful staff though and they encouraged me to go see my family doctor and keep them updated.

So, I went to my family doctor and she, of course, thought it was my gallbladder since it was so tender in that area. I was then directed to the surgeon on call and he thought it was my gallbladder too so after about 5 hours of just doctor visits I was admitted to the hospital.

They took me to ultrasound soon after I arrived and looked at all my beautiful organs and then did a full OB ultrasound. I literally was there for 2 hours doing my ultrasound. Why did it take so long? Well, as the ultrasound tech stated we have a squirmer on our hands making it hard for him to get good pictures of all the baby organs as well. We had 3 people call the room asking if we were done yet because they needed to get some more lab work from me and the radiologist came in waiting to read the results. Haha!

The baby literally goes crazy when anyone presses on his territory. He kicked the nurse when she was trying to measure his heart rate and kicked my friend Adrienne when she pressed on my belly during her visit. He’s currently kicking my sore areas and I’m glad he only weighs a little more than a pound so it’s not too painful.

Anyways, after the ultrasound they were ready to start my IV and get some fluids in me since I was severely dehydrated. It literally took the nurse 10 minutes to get the IV in because my vein kept rolling to the side when she tried to get it in and I was laughing so hard I was almost in tears. Matt and my Mom were like, “you haven’t had any pain meds yet so why are you acting so goofy!?” and I said, “remember on Major Payne when the guys leg is like blown off at the beginning of the movie and he’s like ‘want me to take yo mind off that painnnn?’ and so then he breaks the guys finger!? That’s how I feel! It’s taking my mind off my side for a bit!” . . . Maybe you had to be there?

By this time it was almost 10 o’clock at night and we had no idea how the ultrasound looked or if I needed surgery. So I went to sleep and woke up to the doctor telling me we’d be doing surgery at 1 and the OB would be in soon. That’s when shit got real…

The OB doctor came in and basically they have to tell you all the risks with surgery + all the risks of surgery while pregnant. She wasn’t very comforting at first when I asked how big the risks were and if there was a percentage she could give me to help ease my mind. All she said was that she couldn’t give me a percentage and they don’t do surgery on a lot of pregnant women but it isn’t uncommon either. She went on to explain that since I was only 23 weeks and 1 day that ICU doesn’t get involved until 24 weeks if something happened during surgery I’d be basically be shit out of luck.

So at this point I’m crying so hard I can’t even talk and my mom takes over asking if there’s something I could do to not have surgery. There wasn’t and I could tell the doctor felt awful about scaring the shit out of me as she rubbed my leg saying she’s sure everything would be fine.

I cried most of the morning just because I am so attached to our little guy already and I was scared out of my snake skin boots. I said I would literally die if I woke up and his heart beat wasn’t there anymore. So many people prayed for us and I am so grateful! Everything turned out fine and I am just sore. My hemoglobin was still an 8.2 when I left so we have to recheck it on Wednesday to make sure it’s raised or else it’s blood transfusion time.

Matt trying to get my mind off of things…



How far along? 23 weeks and 3 days.

Total weight gain: I haven’t weighed myself but since I didn’t eat for almost 2 days and have been living on water and soup I’m sure it’s even less than -10.  

Maternity clothes? Grandma nightgowns for now…don’t judge me.


Stretch marks? Some more are starting to develop around my belly button.

Sleep: Not too good now that I can hardly move.

Best moment this week: Waking up to the baby’s heartbeat after surgery.

Miss Anything? Being independent..I like to be waited on but I do feel bad asking Matt and my Mom to bring me water, popsicles, Tylenol, turn on my movie, help me get comfortable, etc. I am pretty helpless normally but now it’s on a whole new level.

Movement: Baby never stops moving…and I’m not kidding.

Food cravings: I woke up from surgery craving everything in the entire world. I hadn’t ate or drank anything in over 35 hours. I hadn’t even had ice chips or a sip of water because they didn’t know when I’d be having surgery.


Anything making you queasy or sick: Not really! They are thinking maybe this is why I’ve been so sick and sensitive to foods. We’ll see.

Gender: BOY!!

Labor Signs: None.

Symptoms: sore!


Belly Button in or out? INNY

Wedding rings on or off? on

Happy or Moody most of the time: feeling mostly blessed lately so I guess HAPPY. I never thought I’d be a good mom and I NEVER wanted kids but this is like the most amazing experience of my life. Like my mom has said having a child is like a whole new level of love. She’s right because my baby is going to be a mix of Matthew (whom I love more than anything) and me! I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL HE’S HERE!
 

Looking forward to: feeling better! 

Again, thank you to everyone who sent me texts, Facebook messages/posts, phone calls, came to visit, prayers! I love you all!

***Also, Happy Father’s day! I love both of the dads God blessed me with!

 & to Matthew: you are truly going to be the best father. You have always been a person who likes to take care of little animals and other helpless creatures (me..ha). You are truly wonderful and I wish there were words to describe how blessed I feel to have you in my life! Love ya!  
hehe!

No comments:

Post a Comment